When thinking about the natural health care approach, the two main things we look for are root causes and healing solutions. With that in mind, I thought I’d re-post something I wrote in 2011. I hope it’s helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.
As a follow-up to my last post, I wanted to add some specific examples and details about having the right perspective on health care.
Most regular doctors routinely run thousands of dollars worth of tests on sick people. The usual result is that they still don’t know what’s wrong, or at best, they can only tell you what you don’t have (you don’t have malaria, or hepatitis, or whatever).
In those rare cases where they discover “the problem” of someone’s symptoms – such as high cholesterol, improper hormone levels, brain chemical imbalance, etc. – they still haven’t told you what the root cause is. If your hormone levels are off, you need to find what caused them to be that way. Just adding more hormones to your body may “fix” your test results, but it won’t actually heal the root problem.
And most often, once doctors find a “name” for your problem, they either prescribe a drug (or several drugs), or they recommend surgery. It usually doesn’t occur to them that there are things you can do to actually help your body heal, once you find the root cause of the problem.
I’ve discovered some basic things that I believe are root causes of most health problems.
1) Poor nutrition – anyone who eats a “typical” American diet for even a few years, will end up with a body starving for nutrients, and they’ll experience all kinds of health problems as a result.
2) Toxic overload – our environment is riddled with toxic chemicals like never before. They are everywhere! The body can only handle so much toxic exposure before it begins to break down in several areas.
3) Bugs – things like parasites, entrenched viral or bacterial infections, overgrowth of candida, etc.
4) And STRESS – this is also a big factor in our overall health. Though I think it’s mainly in combination with these other things that it manifests in serious problems.
So, before you face spending hundreds of dollars on more tests, having surgery or filling your body full of toxic drugs, why not explore the things you can be doing right now to help your body heal and repair itself.
1) Eat organic foods — especially organic meats (if you eat meat) since non-organic meat is actually more toxic than non-organic produce. Eat organic veggies and fruits if possible. Eliminate sugar and processed foods. You might not see a huge change overnight, but eating healthy foods will make a difference in your body, nourishing it so it can function properly.
(Here’s my post about some general diet recommendations that anyone can follow – http://supereigirl.blogspot.com/2010/05/happy-diet.html)
2) Get a lymphatic massage at least twice a month (or use self-massage techniques) — I know I’ve mentioned this many times before. There’s just no way for me to overstate how important this is in facilitating your body’s ability to detox! If you don’t do the massage, then whatever else you do to help detox will probably not work or at least not be as effective. God created the lymphatic system to drain the toxins from your body. If it’s “choked” then you will have serious repercussions.
(Here’s my post about lymphatic massage – http://supereigirl.blogspot.com/2010/03/lymphatic-massage.html
For more ideas about detoxing, here’s my post on that – http://supereigirl.blogspot.com/2010/02/detoxing-101.html )
3) Do a parasite treatment — The CDC estimates that 80% of Americans have parasites. However, most doctors never think of this, and if they do, they only test for about 10% of the possible parasites. And, most of the regular drug treatments only kill the adult parasites, not the eggs. Thus they are completely ineffective. Some herbal treatments are recommended as more safe and successful. I tried a few of them, but I never had complete success with any of them (and one of them made me much worse). So exercise caution with herbal treatments as well. A trusted natural health provider should be able to give you specific ideas for what might work for you.
Dr. Smith’s CBT method is the most effective parasite treatment I’ve found. If you’re interested, I can share how to use it. Just send me an email.
4) Start with essential supplements — Most people are magnesium deficient and mineral deficient because of poor diets, depleted soil, etc. Since the body cannot produce trace minerals, magnesium or vitamin C, these are three important things you should supplement with (since it’s almost impossible to get high enough amounts of these from food).
Also, probiotics are vital, as I mentioned in a previous post. And coconut oil is valuable in boosting the immune system and fighting bugs in the body.
(Probiotics post – http://supereigirl.blogspot.com/2011/01/support-bacteria.html
Coconut oil post – http://supereigirl.blogspot.com/2011/02/oil-change.html )
5) Find a natural health care provider — I’ve worked with 2 naturopaths, an herbalogist, Dr. Smith in Idaho and a physical therapist over the last couple of years. All of them are Christians and have helped me tremendously in understanding how to work with my body toward the goal of good health. The best way to find someone is to get a good recommendation from a friend who has been helped by their natural health care provider.
6) Take care of your mental/emotional/spiritual health — Things like stress, anxiety, anger, fear, etc. are all damaging to our bodies. Renewing our minds in God’s Word, prayer, laughter, relaxing, fun and encouragement from others are always helpful and beneficial to all areas of our health. =)
These are things anyone can do, things that will make a difference, and things that can help your body heal and be strengthened, so you can avoid the many health problems that are prevalent today.
If we want to be healthier than the average person today, then I believe we need to think differently and act differently. Let’s not be “conformed” to the world’s ideas (Rom. 12:1-2) about health and the body. Let’s continue to seek the knowledge God gives – after all He created our bodies! – and do the things He has provided so that we can live in good health and be available for all God longs to do through us!